Ms. Roselle Hernandez is a Data Scientist for Social Good and Right-to-Information Advocate. Prior to leaving the Philippines to take Master of Business Data Science at University of Otago in New Zealand, she had a decade of experience covering diverse skills in the fields of project management, monitoring and evaluation, knowledge management, information systems management, information and communications technology, system development, and data science. She had also been involved with various projects designed to accelerate national economic transformation by utilizing technologies to address critical socioeconomic issues and expand access to information in underserved communities.
UNIVERSITY OF OTAGO, New Zealand – Master of Business Data Science (with Distinction)
- New Zealand – ASEAN Scholarship Awardee
- Selected Courses – Machine Learning and Data Mining, Statistical Techniques for Data Science, Advanced Management Studies, Advanced Business Analytics, Advanced Database Topics, Management of Large-Scale Data, Adaptive Business Intelligence
- Dissertation Title – Determinants of Government Underspending: Elements of the Procurement Process Influencing Underspending in the Philippine Government from 2011-2015
ADAMSON UNIVERSITY, Philippines – Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering (Cum Laude)
- National Finalist, Ten Outstanding Students of the Philippines
- Ayala Young Leader
- Department of Science and Technology – Science Education Institute Scholarship Awardee
- University Academic Scholarship Awardee
- Campus Leadership Awardee
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
THE ASIA FOUNDATION – Project-based consultant, System Developer
- Works with a team of gender experts and consultants in the development of a gender audit criteria and framework for courts in the Philippines.
- Translates the tool into a user-friendly electronic data-gathering platform that will be used to automatically generate one-page gender audit report, complementing the efforts of the Supreme Court Gender Responsiveness in Judiciary Committee at ushering an era of gender-sensitive courts in the country.
Project-based consultant, Data Scientist / Statistician
- Team completed the final evaluation report of the implementation of Continuous Trial Project, which drafted the guidelines on speedy trial to expedite trial and resolution of Philippine criminal cases.
USAID-FUNDED E-PESO ACTIVITY – Relationship Manager
- The United States Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded E-PESO Project supports the Philippines in shifting from a cash-based economy to digital through the development of an efficient, transparent, and inclusive retail e-Payment ecosystem to increase the regularity and predictability of financial services to a broader segment of the Philippines population, and open more economic opportunities for broad-based growth.
- Was primarily responsible for managing a portfolio of government and private sector counterparts adopting e-Payment solutions for businesses and organizations.
- Worked with key partners to improve the enabling environment for e-Payments and help scale digital payments by addressing gaps in the broader e-Payment ecosystem.
GOVERNMENT PROCUREMENT POLICY BOARD – TECHNICAL SUPPORT OFFICE (GPPB-TSO) – Head, Information Management Division
- The GPPB was established by virtue of Republic Act No. 9184 as an independent inter-agency body, supported by its TSO, spearheading the implementation of national public procurement reform initiatives.
- Administered the development and testing of the government procurement monitoring and evaluation system to measure and evaluate the effectiveness of the procurement practices of all government agencies, using the prescribed guidelines under the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development’s (OECD) Development Assistance Committee (DAC).
- Assisted in the implementation of Open Data PH, making the procurement compliance rating of participating national government agencies publicly available through the Procurement Dashboard.
Officer IV, Performance Monitoring Division
- Using a standard performance monitoring and evaluation tool, facilitated the assessment of various government units to help identify strengths and weaknesses in the procurement system and develop more effective national procurement policies and regulations.
AURORA BANK – Project-based consultant, Management Information System (MIS)
- Conducted gap analysis and provided professional support for the complete and successful transition from manual to fully functional MIS and integrated core banking system of the rural bank.
USAID-FUNDED SCALING INNOVATIONS IN MOBILE MONEY (SIMM) PROJECT – Project Manager for Mobile Money
- The SIMM Project built upon the USAID’s interventions in microenterprise access and mobile banking to expand financial services through new technologies.
- Worked with the private sector to accelerate shift to electronic payments by implementing mobile money payroll, SIMM’s strategic intervention to make mobile money reach critical mass in the Philippines.
RURAL BANK OF DULAG – Project-based consultant, Information and Communications Technology
- Assessed and updated the bank’s information technology (IT) manual to ensure that the bank’s system and IT services adhere with the regulations set forth by the Philippine Central Bank (BSP).
USAID-FUNDED MICROENTERPRISE ACCESS TO BANKING SERVICES (MABS) PROGRAM – MIS Specialist
- The MABS Program is an initiative designed to accelerate national economic transformation by encouraging the Philippine rural banking industry to significantly expand access to microfinance services. Under the program, rural banks are encouraged and assisted to develop and offer new and innovative products and services and utilize technology to lower costs and improve efficiency of their operations.
- Conducted detailed individual MIS assessment to MABS participating banks, formulated individual MIS work plan and defined specific MIS support and training requirements needed by the rural banks.
- Managed the development and set up of the online MABS toolkit, available at http://www.rbapmabstoolkit.wordpress.com, preserving the 15-year worth of project knowledge database that would have continuing value to microfinance institutions.
Mobile Phone Banking (MPB) Specialist
- Worked with the BSP to ensure that the MPB service/s implemented by rural banks complies with the electronic banking regulations.
- Developed marketing strategies used by partner banks to increase client acquisition and usage of MPB services. This included preparation of strategic pilot and rollout plans, comprehensive documentation on written processes, procedures and policies for the implementation of MPB services as well as monitoring service levels and evaluation of implementation results against success measures.
CONFERENCE AND CERTIFICATION
Keynote Speaker: 5th MOBILE COMMERCE SUMMIT ASIA (Singapore)
- Rural banks: Leveraging mobile money to increase access to banking services
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY INFRASTRUCTURE LIBRARY (ITIL) V3 FOUNDATION
- Passed ITIL certification exam on IT Service Management